The Malaysian Institute of Planners has six (6) classes of membership under its constitution. The classes of members are :-
- Honorary Fellow
As specified under the constitution, the classes of members are defined as :-
- Honorary Fellow Members shall be distinguished or eminent persons whose membership of the Pertubuhan shall in the opinion of the Council add prestige to or advance the interest of the Pertubuhan and shall continue to be Honorary Fellow Members at the pleasure of the Council.
- Honorary Fellow Members shall not be eligible to vote at Meetings of the Pertubuhan. An Honorary Fellow shall be entitled to use after his name the abbreviated designation F.K.P.P.M. (Fellow Kehormat Pertubuhan Perancang Malaysia).
- Fellow Members shall in the opinion of the Council be persons of outstanding merit and have made significant contributions to the Town Planning profession in Malaysia.
- A Fellow should be at least 36 years of age and have been a member of the Pertubuhan for a period not less than 15 (fifteen) years. Fellow Members, subject to their subscription having been paid, shall have the right to vote at Annual General Meeting and Extra Ordinary General Meetings of the Pertubuhan.
- A Fellow shall be entitled to use after his name the abbreviated designation F.P.P.M. (Fellow Pertubuhan Perancang Malaysia).
- Corporate Members shall be persons that have at least 2 (two) years approved post graduate experience and who has been a Graduate Member of the Pertubuhan for at least 1 (one) calendar year prior to their election as a Corporate Member. Approved experience shall be as defined by the Council from time to time.
- Corporate Members, subject to their subscriptions having been paid, shall have the right to vote at Annual General Meeting and Extra Ordinary General Meeting of the Pertubuhan.
- A Corporate Member shall be entitled to use after his name the abbreviated designation A.P.P.M. (Ahli Pertubuhan Perancang Malaysia).
- Graduate Members shall be persons holding recognized qualifications in Town Planning which in the opinion of the Council are acceptable for eventual Corporate Membership of The Pertubuhan.
- A Graduate member may attend all meetings of the Pertubuhan and to speak at such meetings but shall not have the right to vote.
- Student Members shall be persons who are undergoing a course of studies for a degree or diploma in Town Planning at a University or center of higher learning or persons working and studying towards becoming a Town Planner by undergoing his studies on either a full time or part time basis at a University or center of higher learning.
- A student member can only stay in Studentship for not more than 10 years, after which he must seek an extension if he is still studying or gaining experience. He cannot apply for Studentship if he is eligible for graduate membership.
- A Student member may attend all meetings of the Pertubuhan and to speak at such meetings but shall not have the right to vote.
- The Associate Member shall be an individual person belonging to a profession allied to the practice of town planning which in the opinion of the Council is acceptable.
- Professional Engineers, Architects, Quantity Surveyors and Land Surveyors or others registered under any written law in Malaysia relating to the registration of such professions are NOT eligible for Associate Membership. Other allied profession such as Landscape Architects, Economist, Traffic Consultants, Environmental Consultants, which are not registered under any written law in Malaysia but relates to the town planning profession can be an Associate Member of the Pertubuhan at the discretion of the Council.
- An Associate Member may attend all meetings of the Pertubuhan and to speak at such meetings but shall not have the right to vote.